Welcome to Huckleberry Cottage - The Blog! I would love to "chat", so please leave a comment :)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Tea Staining

OK>>>So for those of you that already do this, like on a regular basis, this post probably isn't for you....but I have had a couple of people ask me how to "tea stain". There are a few ways to do this, but this is how I like to do it.
First I start with tea-dyed muslin, or regular muslin, a cup of hot water, a tea bag (or 2), and a cookie sheet.

Next place the muslin on the cookie sheet...

Add the tea bag to the hot water...

Squeeze the water from the tea bag onto the muslin...

Squeeze as much or as little as you want.....it's totally up to you. Some people like a lot and some a little. It is a total personal preference. You CANNOT goof this up! I promise!

Place the muslin and the cookie sheet in a preheated 275* oven. Watch the material very closely until it is dry. It only takes a few minutes.

Iron the muslin, and see if it stained enough to your liking. If you want more staining, just repeat the steps above.


**A little tip. If you want to have quite a "splotchy" look, do the above steps at least 2 times. If you wet the muslin too much on the first time, it will just dye the muslin to a darker color, instead of staining it.
***If you want a darker, richer color, use coffee packets instead of tea packets.

2 comments:

Marci said...

i've also sprayed it with a squirt bottle and now i just mix up instant coffee and sponge it on with a sponge painter thing. i like to have it all over though so that doesn't make it very splotchy. i really like using coffee though...it's a new thing for me...it's more brown than tea. so there you go, my two bits!
about that money tree...i don't know if you got my email back about your comment but i would like that same info!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog's new look!