Welcome to Huckleberry Cottage - The Blog! I would love to "chat", so please leave a comment :)

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Power of One Word



So, I have a friend who has inspired me just from reading what she is doing with herself this year. She got the idea from her sister in law, and now I am stealing it, and hopefully you will too. I think this could be a very powerful tool that anyone could use in their own personal life this year. She has chosen one word that sums up what she wants to achieve for herself this year....how cool is that? It seems like we are so hard on ourselves to be perfect, but if we work on one thing, which could be so much in itself, how much better we could feel about ourselves.
Here is what is on her blog.....
"Your word can be anything you want it to be - it does not have to be soulful, or clever, or original. It can be practical and tangible. Don't worry if someone else has chosen the same word as you - this is just for you. You don't have to be creative - just be true.The idea behind the one little word concept is to give yourself something to focus on throughout the year. "A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities."
I have pondered on this for a few days now, and believe me, I have had many words run through my mind, but I have zeroed in on one! Here it is....
AMBITION....
The meaning of this word is this.......a strong desire to gain a particular objective; specif., the drive to succeed, or to gain fame, power, wealth, etc.
...eager desire
I am focusing on the desire part of this word. I have all the desire for certain things in my life, but if I don't have the ambition to accomplish these things, the desire means nothing. So there you have my word....AMBITION.....
What's your's going to be?

3 comments:

Celeste said...

OOOH - GREAT word!! I love it!

Mindy said...

Tanya, thank you for your nice comment! My camera is a Nikon D90... very nice! I'm so spoiled, and not worthy. ;) Photoshop is nearly impossible for me, but I'm hoping to learn. I'm basically cheating with it right now, using already figured out "actions". (Most of them from Pioneer Woman.) Anyway, I think Charlotte knows a lot about Photoshop, so she might be able to help you more, but I do think it's a pretty difficult program.

I LOVE the word idea! I have another friend who did the word theme too... I need to think on that one more.

Marci said...

oh i love that word...if i had any i would choose the same one.;)

you are in my treasure box...several times actually. so there, you are a treasure to me.